TEST AUTOMATION OWNER
Appoint an owner for the test automation effort. If there is already a "champion" give him or her public support.
This pattern is already necessary for individual automation efforts, but is especially important for long lasting success by larger automation projects
The "test automation owner" is not necessarily the project leader, but he or she must be its "champion". The owner, once test automation has been established, controls that it stays "healthy" and keeps an eye on new tools, techniques or processes in order to improve it.
The most important patterns for the automation owner are:
- LOOK AHEAD: keep in touch with the tester, automation and development community in order to stay informed about new tools, methods etc.
- LOOK FOR TROUBLE: watch out for possible problems in order to solve them before they become unmanageable.
Other useful patterns:
- CELEBRATE SUCCESS to keep the high motivation level in test automation
- SHARE INFORMATION with testers, developers and management
- MANAGEMENT SUPPORT will be needed at all times
The biggest danger is that the test automation owner decides to leave the company without adequately sharing their knowledge. It is important to also have a DEPUTY. The test automation owner needs support from management if they are trying to implement changes to the automation.
Issues addressed by this pattern
If you have also used this pattern and would like to contribute your experience to the wiki, please go to Feedback to submit your experience or comment.