Appoint a deputy to all important knowledge carriers
This pattern is important for long lasting automation, it's not needed for one-off or disposable scripts.
It is common knowledge that one needs to backup the testware (data or scripts) just in case it could be lost or damaged. The same should also happen for the know-how in the heads of the automation engineers: there should always be a deputy that is able to take over if who is in charge of the framework, the scripts or test execution suddenly gets sick, goes on vacation or, in the worst case, leaves the company.
Here some suggestions:
- GET TRAINING: keep all members of the automation team up to date with the latest tools and standards
- DOCUMENT THE TESTWARE: This pattern is essential for keeping the test automation effort maintainable
- PAIR UP, SHARE INFORMATION: apply these patterns to spread knowledge though the team
- SET STANDARDS: it's easier to learn and understand what other people do, if everybody follows the same standards
- MANAGEMENT SUPPORT: you will need it in order to free people to become deputies
Beware of people building little "empires", that don't want to share their knowledge with the rest of the team
Issues addressed by this pattern
If you have used this pattern and would like to contribute your experience to the wiki, please go to Feedback to submit your experience or comment.