The environment where the Software Under Test (SUT) has to run is complex
The problem range is:
- Different systems (hardware or software) that interact in some way.
- Test data is hard to create due to the number of systems involved or a limited refresh cycle.
- You have to simulate some hardware
Where does the complexity lie? In preparing the initial conditions? Test execution? Checking the results? Dependencies?
How do you collect the necessary data?
- DO A PILOT: use this pattern to find out what the problems are and ways to tackle them
- TAKE SMALL STEPS: use this pattern to break up the problems in more chewable chunks
- THINK OUT-OF-THE-BOX: try to look at the problem from unusual viewpoints
Other useful patterns:
- KEEP IT SIMPLE: this pattern is always helpful
- SHARE INFORMATION: use this pattern for better communication between development, testing and automation